Saturday, February 9, 2013

30 Day Course on Faith - Day 9

3 Levels of Belief

Today is our final review of faith and belief before we move on to other characteristics that help us increase our faith.

We are going to go a little bit deeper today and talk about the 3 levels of belief:

The first level is Knowledge.  You have learned it and you know it in your head.

The second level is Understanding.  Not only do you know it in your head, but you also feel it in your heart.

The third level is Becoming.  Not only do you know it in your head AND feel it in your heart, but you are also living it at your core.  It is part of who you are!

There are some things we know, but we may not understand them, and we definitely don't do them.

There are other things we know and understand, but we still don't do them.

But it's the things that we know, understand, and live daily that determine who we become and what we are able to accomplish!

You need that third level of belief to truly exercise faith.  It is not enough to know something, or even to understand it, but you need to be living it... and then faith will become a power in your life!

     A few years ago I heard someone talking on the Oprah show.  She was
     talking about making a list of all the qualities you want in a future companion,
     and how helpful it could be. (Even if you are married, you could take these same
     principles and apply them in other areas of your life -- or even to improve your
     marriage).

     I always smile when I hear people talk about these lists, because I made a list like
     that several years ago.  But, this is the important thing that I did that no one mentions:
     When I finished the list, I looked at it and said, "Now I need to become this person."
     And I went to work and became the person I had described in my list!!!
Doug and Alisa
Engagement Picture

     When I met my husband several years later, I knew
     on my first date that he was someone I could definitely
     marry.  I was 26 years old, and had never felt that
     before - I was a skeptic, and definitely not a believer in
     "love at first sight."  So I was really surprised when I came
     home from that first date and knew with a certainty that I
     could marry him.

     For those of you who are religious, I recognize that the
     Spirit bore witness to me that night, but I also believe
     that it did because I had prepared myself to receive the
     answer! I had become the person who could recognize
     and receive the answer!!!

Remember the quote from James Allen:  Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they ARE."

There is a big difference between wanting a great spouse and becoming a great spouse!  There is a big difference between wanting a million dollars and becoming a millionaire! There is a big difference between wanting to be healthy and becoming a healthy person! The wanting is just idle dreaming; the becoming requires inspired, consistent action towards a goal/vision.

In short, it requires FAITH to become the person we want to be. Without faith, we are just idle dreamers!

Daily Challenge: Every day for 30 days in a row, I want you to say the following out loud at least 10 times each day!!!  Be sure to say it cheerfully and enthusiastically!  This scripture is found in Philippians 4:13:

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” 

You've now completed this challenge nine days in a row! 
Be sure to congratulate yourself for a job well done! 

No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...