Monday, February 4, 2013

30 Day Course on Faith - Day 4


“Carest Thou Not That We Perish?”

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is told in Mark 4.  Jesus has been teaching parables to the people and at the end of the day tells his disciples: “Let us pass over unto the other side.”

While they are in the boat going to the other side of the sea of Galilee, a great storm arose:

 37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.

Jesus is asleep on the ship while the storm is raging!  His disciples are terrified of the storm and wake him up:

 38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?

When Jesus wakes up, he calms the storm, and then he asks them about their faith:

 39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
 40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

There are times in my life when I feel the storm raging, and everything in my life feels unsteady to me.  I completely understand how the disciples felt as the ship was being tossed around in the horrible storm.  Just like he calmed the sea, he can bring us peace.

At times I have felt like maybe Jesus was sleeping while I was so scared… or maybe he just isn’t paying attention to my storm! 

This parable teaches us that he is ever-mindful of us and our storms and our challenges.  And he is watching over us to be sure no harm comes to us.  The winds and the waves WILL obey his will – we just need to remember to be still and put our trust in Him.

Is there a storm in your life right now?  Take a few minutes to feel peace (peaceful music in the background may help) and think about how different your life might be if you could feel that peace all the time!

Daily Challenge: Every day for 30 days in a row, I want you to say the following out loud at least 10 times each day!!!  Be sure to say it cheerfully and enthusiastically!  This scripture is found in Philippians 4:13:

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” 

You've now completed this challenge four days in a row - Be sure to congratulate yourself for a job well done!




No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...