Wednesday, February 13, 2013

30 Day Course on Faith - Day 13

Faith and Gratitude

I first learned the importance of gratitude several years ago.  I went to visit a woman I greatly admired; I wanted to learn all her secrets because she lived such an amazing life and was raising such amazing children.  Her answer to everything was "It's all about gratitude, Alisa! It's all about gratitude!"  I left her home with a firm resolution to learn more about gratitude and to start practicing it immediately!  And what a difference that resolution has made...

Most of you have probably heard of a Gratitude Journal.  I have tried more than once to keep one, but it didn't have the same power for me that it did for others.  Until, I learned a different perspective...

I heard someone speak about keeping a journal where they recorded how God's hand had blessed their life that day.  When I started recognizing God's hand in my life and recording it in my journal, I could feel my life transforming.  I started acknowledging God's hand in my life in so many areas, and my gratitude was increasing in a profound way! As my understanding of God's dealings in my life deepened, I automatically became more grateful... and grateful in a deep, profound way!

     "You could ask yourself, "How did God bless me today?' If you do that long 
     enough and with faith, you will find yoruself remembering blessings. And 
     sometimes you will have gifts brought to your mid which you failed to notice 
     during the day, but which you will then know were a touch of God's hand in 
     your life." ~Henry Eyring

A few years ago I learned the difference between "heart gratitude" and "brain gratitude." When I was first trying to be more grateful, I was coming from a "brain gratitude" perspective.  I was writing 5-10 things I was grateful for, and it felt like I was chasing gratitude and never quite catching it!

When I switched my perspective and started acknowledging God's hand in my life I started coming from a "heart gratitude" perspective.  I didn't even have to try to be grateful... I felt so blessed!  The electromagnetic field of the heart is 5,000 times stronger than that of the brain!  5,000!!! So gratitude that comes from the heart is so much more powerful than gratitude that comes from the brain! (Apparently 5,000 times more powerful!)

Each of us receives so many blessings every day from a loving God... but we may not be aware of those blessings if we don't stop to acknowledge them!  Sometimes we are so focused on the pebbles on the path that we miss the majesty of the nature that we are walking through!!! As we become more grateful and recognize God's hand in our lives, we will become more confident and our faith will increase.

Here is a small way that I applied the principles of gratitude a few years ago:
When gas prices started going up and everyone was starting to panic, I expressed gratitude to God.  Because I knew that he would always provide a way for me to have the resources I need.  If that meant lower gas prices... or more money in my pocket to pay for the gas... it really didn't matter.  I truly believed that we would be fine no matter what -- because God is always a generous provider and I was learning to be a grateful receiver!

I admit that it's easier to be grateful when gas prices are going down, but our faith and confidence increase when we are able to be grateful as the prices are going up!


Daily Challenge: Every day for 30 days in a row, I want you to say the following out loud at least 10 times each day!!!  Be sure to say it cheerfully and enthusiastically!  This scripture is found in Philippians 4:13:

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” 

You've now completed this challenge 13 days in a row! 
Be sure to congratulate yourself for a job well done! 

No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...