Sunday, February 21, 2010

Do You Want to Be Right... or Happy?

I believe this is one of those verses that is passed by word of mouth and doesn't have a credited author:

Here lies the body of William Jay -
He died defending his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along,
But he is just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

This reminded me of the saying, "Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?" So many times we waste time and energy defending a belief or a position that isn't even serving our highest good.

Truth and belief are not the same things. Truth stands on it's own and doesn't need defending. If billions of people in the world believe a lie, it doesn't change the reality of the truth.  For example, for hundreds of years people believed the world was flat -- but that never changed the reality that the world was round.

Beliefs, on the other hand, are the sum total of the thoughts we choose to think. We function in accordance with our beliefs, but our beliefs do not define us. Because our thoughts are not always accurate, then it is reasonable to believe that our beliefs will not always be accurate.

I thought this verse put it into perspective in a great way, and I wanted to share it with you!

6 comments:

Solar panel homes said...

If you don't mind, where do you host your web blog? I am searching for a good web hosting and your site appears to be extremely fast and up most the time?

Travel and Leisure Information said...

You make a lot of good points on this blog. Keep up the great work.

coachalisa said...

I host it at ipower.com -- the same place where I host my website (www.coachalisa.com)

cat said...

I discovered your blog last week and started follow your posts religiously. I have not commented on any blog just yet but I was thinking I would love to. It’s really exciting to actually contribute to a article even if it’s only a blog. I really don’t know exactly what to write other than I really enjoyed reading through 2 of the articles. Nice articles indeed. I sure will keep visiting your blog weekly. I learned quite a bit from you. Thx!

cats said...

Definitely cool desgin of one’s website. It can be individual and compares to your posts. Don?t give up and make your personal point!

Forest Peregoy said...

I don’t normally comment on blogs.. But nice post! I just bookmarked your site

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...