Sunday, February 3, 2013

30 Day Course on Faith - Day 3


Faith vs. Fear



                 “Fill your mind with faith and in due course the accumulation
                        of faith will crowd out fear.” ~Norman Vincent Peale


Many years ago I saw a sign on a church billboard that said:
Fear knocked.
Faith answered.
No one was there.

I have never forgotten that saying!  Faith and fear cannot co-exist!  If we answer our fears with faith, then the fear ceases to exist.  When we are experiencing fear, we know that our faith is lacking in that area.

When I was first learning about faith, I had a hard time comprehending and defining what faith was.  But I understood fear.  I knew exactly what fear felt like!  So I started defining faith as the absence of fear.  Every time I felt fear come up, I knew that I was lacking faith.

There is an old, anonymous story that I love:

One evening, an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.
"One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
"The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Feed your faith and your fear will starve to death!  To get rid of fear, you must increase your faith… and then there will be no room for fear!

Fear leads us to anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.  In other words, fear feels bad!  When we feel bad, we know that we have misplaced our faith.

On the other hand, faith leads us to joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, and compassion.  In other words, faith feels happy!  When we are happy, we know that our faith is in God.  When we learn how to create our own happiness, we can ALWAYS be happy – even when we are in the middle of difficult challenges!  We know our trust is in God, and because our trust is in God we know that He can make everything happen for our good.

Think of a difficult experience you have overcome in your life.  Take a few minutes right now and write down all of the good things that came out of that difficult experience.  What did you learn?  Who did you meet?  Did any friendships get stronger over the experience?  Where you able to let go of something that was not in your highest good?

Daily Challenge: Every day for 30 days in a row, I want you to say the following out loud at least 10 times each day!!!  Be sure to say it cheerfully and enthusiastically!  This scripture is found in Philippians 4:13:

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” 

You've now completed this challenge three days in a row - Be sure to congratulate yourself for a job well done!


Bonus Challenge: Read this article that tells about a time when I learned about something good coming out of something terrible!




No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...