Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The End From the Beginning...

Here is another story told by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, an LDS church leader (from April 2006 conference). The talk is called "See the End from the Beginning," and I have been thinking about this story a lot lately. Some of our goals may be taking a bit longer than we would like, but we don't know what unknown "dis-eases" are being healed as we work toward our goal. This story inspired me to be grateful for the challenges that come with my goals because they are making me stronger!

"Allow me to share with you an experience from my own boyhood. When I was 11 years old, my family had to leave East Germany and begin a new life in West Germany overnight. Until my father could get back into his original profession as a government employee, my parents operated a small laundry business in our little town. I became the laundry delivery boy. To be able to do that effectively, I needed a bicycle to pull the heavy laundry cart. I had always dreamed of owning a nice, sleek, shiny, sporty red bicycle. But there had never been enough money to fulfill this dream. What I got instead was a heavy, ugly, black, sturdy workhorse of a bicycle. I delivered laundry on that bike before and after school for quite a few years. Most of the time, I was not overly excited about the bike, the cart, or my job. Sometimes the cart seemed so heavy and the work so tiring that I thought my lungs would burst, and I often had to stop to catch my breath. Nevertheless, I did my part because I knew we desperately needed the income as a family, and it was my way to contribute.

"If I had only known back then what I learned many years later—if I had only been able to see the end from the beginning—I would have had a better appreciation of these experiences, and it would have made my job so much easier.

"Many years later, when I was about to be drafted into the military, I decided to volunteer instead and join the Air Force to become a pilot. I loved flying and thought being a pilot would be my thing.

"To be accepted for the program I had to pass a number of tests, including a strict physical exam. The doctors were slightly concerned by the results and did some additional medical tests. Then they announced, “You have scars on your lung which are an indication of a lung disease in your early teenage years, but obviously you are fine now.” The doctors wondered what kind of treatment I had gone through to heal the disease. Until the day of that examination I had never known that I had any kind of lung disease. Then it became clear to me that my regular exercise in fresh air as a laundry boy had been a key factor in my healing from this illness. Without the extra effort of pedaling that heavy bicycle day in and day out, pulling the laundry cart up and down the streets of our town, I might never have become a jet fighter pilot and later a 747 airline captain.

"We don’t always know the details of our future. We do not know what lies ahead. We live in a time of uncertainty. We are surrounded by challenges on all sides. Occasionally discouragement may sneak into our day; frustration may invite itself into our thinking; doubt might enter about the value of our work. In these dark moments Satan whispers in our ears that we will never be able to succeed, that the price isn’t worth the effort, and that our small part will never make a difference. He, the father of all lies, will try to prevent us from seeing the end from the beginning."

24 comments:

katalog stron said...

Wow, great post Thanks for sharing !

free ipad said...

i was starting to feel i would possibly end up being the sole woman whom thought about this, at the least at present i recognize im not outlandish :) i will be sure to find out more about a handful of other blogposts right after i get my morning caffeine in me, adios for now :)

Arnoldo Degrella said...

I was seeking this particular the other day. i do not normally post inside forums but i needed to say thank you!

usb splitter said...

I am not in a position to view this web site correctly on saffari I think there's a downside

DAVID WILLIAMS said...

We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with useful information to paintings on. You've performed an impressive job and our entire neighborhood might be thankful to you.

Andrew Gitt said...

Hi, I wanted to know if you know anyone with kids in the 1-8 age group. I ask because I created a free online children's book library called Story Time For Me. I was hoping you could check it out and if you like the site, perhaps you could blog about it and let your friends know of this free resource. I'm happy to answer any questions if you email me.Take care.

Daron Hopp said...

Im obliged for the blog.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

Elba Sotak said...

With all the doggone snow we have gotten recently I am stuck indoors, fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do. :)

Kelli Lingelbach said...

Very neat article post.Much thanks again. Awesome.

Edmundo Engwall said...

Awesome article.Really thank you! Really Cool.

Tyson F. Gautreaux said...

I've learned some new things by your blog. One other thing I'd like to say is that newer personal computer operating systems usually allow far more memory to be utilized, but they likewise demand more ram simply to function. If a person's computer can't handle additional memory as well as newest application requires that memory increase, it might be the time to buy a new Personal computer. Thanks

Van Erikson said...

Really accurate. The home could be the new going out.

San Diego Wedding Photographer said...

Very informative blog post. Awesome.

San Diego House Painting said...

Very neat post.Thanks Again. Much obliged.

4 Color Business Cards said...

Muchos Gracias for your post.Thanks Again. Want more.

Pop Up Displays said...

I loved your article post.Much thanks again. Keep writing.

Botox Injections San Diego said...

Fantastic blog post.Much thanks again. Great.

Tustin Plumber said...

I cannot thank you enough for the post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

Sundance Utah Real Estate said...

I think this is a real great blog post.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

San Diego Slab Leak Detection said...

I appreciate you sharing this blog.Thanks Again. Awesome.

Network Marketing Product said...

Enjoyed every bit of your post.Thanks Again. Keep writing.

Designer handbags wholesale said...

My partner make your mind up to do it help to make nice and clean on could fit right in planning to check back

Deborah Dinkel said...

What a excellent site to cease and view by, I admire your blog and loved to depart a comment right here!!! Many thanks for the nice submit.

Window Replacement San Diego said...

Great article post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...