Tuesday, February 12, 2013

30 Day Course on Faith - Day 12

Faith and Patience

      "Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes 
      it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow 
      the most."  ~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

      "Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. 
      Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that 
      we know what is best - better than does God. Or, at least, we are 
      asserting that our timetable is better than his." ~Neal A. Maxwell

We are now on Day 12 and if we are completely honest, most of us have started asking, "This is great that we're learning all about faith, but when am I going to start seeing the changes?" Or you may be saying something like "But I've asked and asked, and I would like to receive, but what I'm asking for just isn't coming."

Patience is a very important companion to Faith.  I have never been a patient person.  We first found out that my husband's company was moving to Houston in February 2011.  We actually moved to Houston 16 months after that.  The first 8 months were filled with uncertainty - were we moving or staying?  The next 8 months were filled with waiting while my husband commuted to Houston and we waited for the school year to finish.  

While we were (impatiently) waiting for everything to play out there were days when my anxiety would be so high that I couldn't even function.  There were days when it seemed like everything was stacked against us and that God had forgotten and forsaken us.  On those days, I would find a quiet place in my house and I would pray to God.  I would surrender everything to Him (again!).  And I would be blessed with peace (again!). Looking back when everything was resolved, I was able to see that my faith grew exponentially while I waited and waited and waited!

      "Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by 
      looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience. 
      Often we can't see the Lord's hand in our lives until long after trials 
      have passed. Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential 
      building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave 
      the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness." 
      ~Dieter F. Uchtdorf

      "Patience is not indifference. Actually, it is caring very much, but being 
      willing, nevertheless, to submit both to the Lord and to what the scriptures 
      call the "process of time." ~Neal A. Maxwell


But because I am impatient, I still want to know... Why is my goal taking so long?  Sometimes it depends on how far away from our goal we are when we start.  For example, if the goal is to get to New York, someone in New Hampshire is going to get there a lot faster than someone in California is.  You can't turn that 2500 miles into 250 miles, but you can avoid detours, distractions, obstacles and roadblocks that would turn it into 5000 miles - or more! You can practice patience and enjoy the journey, feeling confident that you are on the right road and if you just keep going (even if there are setbacks), then you will reach your goal!

Like a newborn baby learning to walk, we progress faster when we encourage ourselves and cheer for all our little successes... Be patient and start with baby steps, and before you know it you will be running to your goal!


Daily Challenge: Every day for 30 days in a row, I want you to say the following out loud at least 10 times each day!!!  Be sure to say it cheerfully and enthusiastically!  This scripture is found in Philippians 4:13:

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” 

You've now completed this challenge twelve days in a row! 
Be sure to congratulate yourself for a job well done! 

No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...