Thursday, January 31, 2013

30 Day Course on Faith - Introduction


“Faith is to believe that which you do not yet see; and the reward of this faith is to see that which you believe.” – St. Augustine of Hippo

“To believe in the things you can see and touch is no belief at all; but to believe in the unseen is a triumph and a blessing.” ~Abraham Lincoln

When we moved back to Dallas, Texas in 2006  (after living in Arizona for a year and a half) we told our kids we were never moving again!  We had really missed the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and knew this is where we wanted to live long-term and finish raising our family.  My husband got a great job with a great company when we moved back to the Dallas area, and we were fairly certain we would retire with this company.  The kids were doing great in school, they had great friends, we had a great church group and great neighbors, we were fixing our house up, we loved our community, my husband was doing well at his job and loved his career… we were sure that we would be here forever!

Then on February 7, 2011, my husband’s company threw a huge curve ball at us.  They announced the acquisition of a company in Houston and announced they would be closing the Dallas office and relocating to Houston.  We were shell-shocked! 

Our choices were to find another job in Dallas or move to Houston.  The thought of uprooting our family and moving to Houston -- when everything was going so well for us -- did not appeal to us.  The thought of looking for another job -- when my husband really loved his job and the company he worked for, and when we had a lot of unvested stock we would be leaving behind -- did not appeal to us either!

It really felt like a lose-lose situation to us.  Our emotions were all over the place… to be honest, they were mostly negative.  There was a lot of uncertainty – accompanied by a lot of speculation and rumors that were flying around my husband’s work place.  Because of the acquisition, my husband was working a lot of extra hours – all while we were looking at an uncertain future.

At this same time, one of our church leaders gave a very powerful talk on Faith.  I began studying faith and really seeking ways to increase faith in my life.

As my faith increased, miracles started happening – starting with the softening of my heart! There were several times that year when it felt like everything was falling into place, and then we would have the rug pulled from underneath us again.  My faith would be tested again.  My fight-or-flight would kick in!  My head was telling me there was no way this could happen, but my heart told me it was going to happen!

As I started increasing and practicing faith in my life, more miracles followed.  I wanted everyone to have the same success I was having, and that is what led me to write this 30-day course on Faith.

We learn and grow by faith AND experience – so I hope you will do more than just learn about faith from this course – I hope you will accept the daily challenges and take the action to experience this increase of faith in your life!

I know that when we practice something for 30 days in a row – without missing a day – new neural pathways are created in our brain and we open the door to new opportunities and new experiences.  So I am asking you to commit to this course for 30 days in a row for 10 minutes a day… and watch the miracles unfold in your own life!

No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...