Monday, January 31, 2011

The Best Expert on You is... YOU!!!

This week we are going to be focusing on how you are your own best expert!

Nobody knows your goals and dreams like you do.  Nobody knows what motivates you like you do!  No one else even knows what it's like to be you!  No one knows you like you know yourself.

You may not feel comfortable hearing that.  You may be thinking right now that if you really are your own best expert, then you are in big trouble!  Because you may be feeling a lot of confusion about who you are and what your dreams, goals, and aspirations really are!

Our mind plays tricks on us.  Its job is to make sure we stay safe, and the way that it keeps us "safe" is to keep us from changing.  So it works really hard to convince us that everything should stay exactly how it is!

So if you want to find out who you really are, don't try to process it through your mind.  Instead take out a pen and piece of paper and ask yourself questions such as:  What do I really want in life?  If I could do anything I wanted for a whole day, what would it be?  What are my three greatest dreams?  Would I rather:  1) learn and teach knowledge; 2) live and promote a peaceful life; 3) fill the world with as much love as possible?  (Or in other words, which motivates me more:  knowledge, peace, or love?)  If I were to live my dream life, what would my next step be?  What could I accomplish in the next 3-5 days that would take me a step closer to discovering who I really am?

Write the answers to these questions - or any other questions you think of.  Keep writing until you have nothing else left to write.  If you are having a hard time coming up with something to write, then ask yourself the question "If I did know the answer to this question, what might it be?"  If you still can't think of anything, then go on to a different question.  You may be surprised at some of the answers you write!

Come back here and share your experience with this exercise!

No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...