Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Actions and Reactions

To every action there is an EQUAL and OPPOSITE reaction!!! Even though I know this, I have often forgotten it! So when I have taken an action -- and the equal and opposite reaction pops up -- I end up putting my energy into trying to stop the reaction, and I lose all progress in my action. It's really important that we keep our energy and focus on the ACTION (what we're trying to create) instead of in the opposition that pops up.

I am reminded of Nehemiah in the Old Testament. Nehemiah was an Israelite who lived in exile in Babylon and served as cupbearer to the king.   At Nehemiah's request, the King gave Nehemiah the authority to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the city. However, not everyone was happy with this plan.

Fearless, Nehemiah did not allow the opposition to distract him. Instead, he organized his resources and manpower and moved forward rebuilding the city.  But as the walls of the city began to rise, opposition intensified. Nehemiah’s enemies threatened, conspired, and ridiculed. Their threats were very real, and they grew so intimidating that Nehemiah confessed, “They all made us afraid.” (Nehemiah 6:9) In spite of the danger and the ever-present threat of invasion, the work progressed.

As the work continued, Nehemiah’s enemies became more desperate. Four times they entreated him to leave the safety of the city and meet with them under the pretense of resolving the conflict, but Nehemiah knew that their intent was to do him harm. Each time they approached him, he responded with the same answer: “I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down.” (Nehemiah 6:3)

What an amazing response! With that clear and unchanging purpose of heart and mind, with that great resolve, the walls of Jerusalem rose until they were rebuilt in an astonishing 52 days.

If we are not facing any opposition, then it means we need to start taking action!  As we face opposition we need to do as Nehemiah and "do our great work, and not come down" to engage the opposition. It's important that we keep our energy moving forward in our ACTION so that we can keep progressing and so we can do our part to create miracles in our lives!

No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...