Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Law of Cause and Effect

The law of cause and effect states that every cause has an effect, and every effect has a cause. Nothing happens by chance. Whatever you send into the Universe comes back to you.

Treat others with kindness and respect, and others will treat you with more kindness and respect. Never worry about what you are going to get, just concentrate on what you can give. When you plant the cause (in this case, treating others with kindness and respect), the effect will naturally follow (others treating you with kindness and respect).

Do you need more kindness in your life? Then plant seeds of kindness everywhere you go, and kindness will flow back to you.

Do you need more time in your life? Then give freely of your time through serving and volunteering, and more time will flow back to you.

Do you need more money? Then tithe your current money and give money to those who are less fortunate than you, and money will flow back to you!

Do you need better relationships? Then become a better friend and a better partner!

Several years ago I made a list of all the qualities I wanted in my future husband. I listed everything I could think of, and I ended up with sixty-seven qualities I wanted in my future husband. I marked the qualities that were essential with an "E" and I marked the ones that were non-essential with a "W" (for wants).

But then I did something really important that I have never heard any of the “experts” mention when they talk about making these lists. I believe this is the reason it works for some people and not others. When I finished writing the list, I looked at it and said, "Now I need to become this person." And I went to work becoming the very person I described in my list!

When I met my husband, I knew on my first date that I could marry him. I was 26 years old, and had never felt that before - I was a skeptic, and definitely not a believer in "love at first sight." So I was really surprised when I came home from that first date and knew with a certainty that I could marry him. Now I realize that I was in vibration with the person I had described and immediately recognized it. I lost my list long before I met my husband, but my husband definitely has all the qualities I remember being on the list (the wants as well as the essentials).

In "As a Man Thinketh" James Allen said: "Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are."

There is a big difference between wanting a million dollars and becoming a millionaire. The wanting is just idle dreaming; the becoming requires inspired, consistent action towards a goal/vision (which, of course, requires the goal/vision to begin with). Applying it to my personal example above, there is a big difference between wanting a great partner, and defining what a great partner is and working to become a great partner yourself!

Because you reap what you sow, be sure you are planting good seeds. Make sure that what you are seeking isn’t anchored in ego (wanting more than another person, wanting someone to do something for you, wanting something in return… wanting, wanting, wanting). Be sure that the seeds you plant are worthy of you. If you plant seeds of wanting, you will find yourself in a constant state of lack. If you plant seeds of value and service to others, you will always find value flowing back to you!

No comments:

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...