Thursday, July 22, 2010

Power of Intention

I set a goal for myself this summer.  I was really excited about it, and I spent a lot of time mentally preparing for it.  But now that it's time to do the work that will lead me to my goal I find myself waffling and wondering how committed I actually am to the goal.  I should probably mention that this is the third or fourth time this year I have set the same goal, and each time I have abandoned the goal because of my lack of commitment.

So I found myself a bit frustrated that I was running into the same wall I've been running into all year.  I was on the verge of abandoning my goal when I said to myself, "If I were my own client, what would I tell myself?"  That's when I realized that my first question as a coach would be, "What exactly is your goal?  What are you really trying to accomplish?"

I had been changing my goal depending on my mood and how much effort I wanted to expend towards achieving the goal.  I had broken the very first rule of goal-setting:  Write it down!!! This is not a new concept to me, and it probably isn't a new concept to you either.  But I still try to cut corners sometimes...

So I took a bright yellow piece of paper (so I couldn't possible miss it) and I wrote:  "My intention is:  to _________ by August 2, 2010" and I promptly taped it to my bathroom mirror.  I now have a very clearly defined goal that I can't just change because I don't feel like sticking to my plan for the day.

Intention is defined as an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; an aim that guides action; a course of action one intends to follow.  It's the seed you plant so you can water it, nourish it, and harvest it.  Without a clear intention to guide your actions, there really isn't anything to act on, or nourish, or eventually to manifest.

I am happy to say that instead of abandoning my goal once again, I am now on track to reach my goal on or before August 2, 2010.

What goals are you currently working on?  Have you defined your intention and written it down and posted it where you can easily see it?

7 comments:

Mora Benadom said...

Excellent article and easy to understand explanation. How do I go about getting permission to post part of the article in my upcoming news letter? Giving proper credit to you the author and link to the site would not be a problem.

coachalisa said...

Please just give me credit and link back to my website -- and feel free to post the article in your newsletter!

Trevor Askren said...

This is a really great blog. Thx to the auther

kitchens showrooms said...

Does anyone know how much this is?

kitchen design said...

Nice article very helpful comments. I will for certain come back once again to your site in a bit to read some of the different articles. Cheers!

行蹤 said...

I think youve got something good here. But what if you make a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you could give us something to look at, I could revisit & read more sometime soon?2

outside catering manchester said...

Resourcefulnesses like the one you named here will be very useful to me! I will place a link to this page on my web logs. I am positive my visitors will find that very useable.

Because of Him

This Easter I have loved reading all the posts on Facebook in reference to this video about the Savior: When I woke up this morning, t...